Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I plead the 5th...

So it was the 5th year of our annual SF trip - 5 years of wine tasting (although I opted to be the double d this year), hitting the gay bars & clubs, shopping, museums, and most importantly - eating. I think most people take vacations to go site seeing and all of the things that I mentioned above, which we do. However, when we hit SF, we focus on the good eats first... which is what I'll do in this blog.

The first stop when we got into town was Cafe Fanny's. They offered a low-key breakfast menu which was a good way to start the weekend off. There was a tasty potato soup that was delightful. Right next door was a bread shop named Acme Bread. Their baguettes were warm and filling... in a good way... so much so that I had to buy a second loaf! We visited Sociale's, a little Italian joint that won favorite dishes of the weekend from 3 of 4 of the crew. My dish, the Brick Chicken dish (what they're known for) was probably the best chicken I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I try to stay healthy by ordering chicken when I go out and it can be boring at times... especially when members of your group are ordering things such as wild boar ravioli. This time however, the chicken was far from boring. It melted in my mouth like butter. As a matter of fact, I think they marinated butter in chicken with this mind melting dish. It was sooooo good that I have to post a picture of it. We also re-visited The House, an Asian fusion restuarant located in Chinatown. Our 4th member had her favorite dish there, the sea bass. They're known for their bass and I'm jealous I didn't order that dish... I will next time. We had amazing dessert dishes at each sitting (except for the Japanese Ramen restuarant... which we didn't order) and it'd be too crazy to sit here and list them all. I do want to mention that for the 5th year in a row, we stopped off at The Boulangerie, a French pastry shop that offers great fruit tarts, chocolate croissantes, and other delicious goodies that leave me feeling no remorse for all the calories I take in just from breathing the air inside the shop. You have to visit if you're ever in the Bay. We also visited Burma Superstar, which offers Burmese dishes (I've never tried) and the morning of the departure, we visited (also for the 5th year) Koi Palace and had 15 (or was it 16?) dishes of yummie dim sum!!! It was a good way to end the 5th annual SF trip.

The weather was perfect all weekend which was really strange because it's been very cold every single year we've gone up. I guess that was SF's way of saying, "Thanks mufucka's for coming up again... I'll see you next year and it'll be cold as a mufucka again!"

I spent time with my girlfriend and some good friends on a trip that comes up faster and faster with each passing year. We were discussing my bad memory and this blog of my experience of it is a good way of remembering our 2009 trip to SF... I hope you all have traditions or trips you take with your family & friends that will stay with you for the rest of your life. It's these moments that I cherish the most... moments that are worth more than all the money in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment