Thursday, November 11, 2010

Book Review/Analysis: Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

I am ashamed to admit that I did not know much about Steve Martin prior to reading this book. I mean, I knew he was a well respected person in entertainment, but I didn't know why. My memories of him are from the film, "Father of the Bride," which I really enjoyed when I was younger. Then a few years ago, a classmate did a review about his career and spoke about how great of a comedian/performer/actor that he was and I was intrigued. Of course, life got in the way and I never got around to watching any of his old films or reading any of his plays or books... but ironically, life getting in the way correlates directly with this book. As an actor, it was such a delight to read because Steve Martin's dedication to his "craft" is inspiring. He didn't let life get in his way, he made his magic and comedy routine his life and made the right connections through his hard work and perseverance that eventually led to his success. The book was an easy read that lead me through his early days as an entertainer. I found myself laughing when he made references to his material and reading the book has inspired me to add many of his films onto my Netflix queue. More importantly, it motivates me to reorganize my priorities towards my career choice. Was this book a Nobel Peace Prize winner? Probably not, but the simple person that I am really enjoyed reading it and I am happy for all of Steve Martin's success and can't wait to build my own successes towards my dreams with the fascination and fun that Steve Martin had.

Reading Next: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

No comments:

Post a Comment